My Home Page
Welcome to The Chester Academy Health Office
Gina Straub, RN School Nurse
Amy Zatlukal Health Office Assistant
Phone: (845) 469-2231 X 3315
Fax: (845) 469-6634
All medical forms submitted must be ORIGINALS, signed and dated by the physician.
Physicians may fax forms to 469-6634.
School Health Information
Please note, all student injuries must be reported to the nurse's office. Students cannot come to school with crutches, wheelchairs, etc...unless they have provided the school nurse with a note from the doctor.
In order to best meet your child's health and educational needs in school, please inform the school nurse of any health related issues or current medication. Please contact the school nurse via phone at (845) 469-2231 ext. 3315 or in person.
Please call the Attendance Officer at ext. 3302 if your child will be absent from school. Please notify the Health Office if a serious medical condition has occurred.
* Summer Health History
* Medical Updates
* Emergency Contact Update
* Current PHYSICAL EXAM - Grade 7, 9, 11 and new entrants to district
* Screenings Mandated by New York State Law *
* Vision and Hearing Screenings: Grade 7 & 11
* Scoliosis: Girls - Grade 7, Boys - Grade 9
- Referrals will be sent home as necessary
It is mandated by New York State Law that ALL 7th and 10th graders as well as new entrants into the school district must have a current physical. This applies to all athletes trying out for a school sport. A copy of the physical must be kept on file in the Chester Academy's Health Office. We must be in receipt of the physical by September 30, 2016 or a school physical will be provided by the Nurse Practitioner. Physicals expire after one (1) year. We understand that due to insurance coverage you may not be able to schedule your child's physical exam prior to the opening month of school. Please communicate this to our office. Please note that a copy of the revised physical is posted on our website.
All student athletes interested in participating in a sport must have a current physical on file in the Chester Academy's Health Office. Also required is a health history form (BSR)/Parent Permission form. The school nurse must sign off on this paperwork PRIOR to tryouts. No student will be permitted to participate in tryouts without the physical and health update form on file in the Chester Academy's Health Office. Sport packets are available in the Main Office.
Sport Physicals will be offered at the Chester Academy's Health Office once a month (sometimes twice), usually the first Wednesday of the month . Please contact Amy Zatlukal in the Health Office at ext. 3316 to schedule an appointment to be seen by the Nurse Practitioner.
All students must provide proof of immunizations prior to entering or attending school. Immunizations must be current. New entrants will be given 14 days to provide a record of immunizations. If this is not adhered to, students will be considered out of compliance and excluded from school until documentation from a Health Care Provider is on file in the Chester Academy's Health Office. If you need assistance in obtaining immunizations, please call the Orange County Health Department at (845) 360-6587.
**Effective September 1, 2016, the New York State Department of Health will be revising the regulations for ALL incoming 7th and 12th graders to require the meningitis vaccine. Medical documentation can be faxed to the Health Office at (845) 469-6634. Proof of immunizations must be provided before the first day of school, September 6, 2016. Please see your healthcare provider as soon as possible to ensure your child has all the required immunizations as required by New York State.
**Please see attached letters below regarding 7th & 12th graders revised immunizations for Meningococcal for the school year 2016-2017.**
Please be aware of the following requirements:
*Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis Vaccine (DTap/DTP): 3 doses
*Polio Vaccine (IPV/OPV): 3-4 doses (See your doctor for individual dosing requirements)
*Measles,Mumps and Rubella Vaccine (MMR) 2 doses
*Hepatitis B: 3 doses
*Tdap: 1 dose (not required until the child is 11 years old)
*Varicella (Chicken Pox): 2 doses.
*Meningococcal (Meningitis): NEW REQUIREMENT - 1 dose (Entering 7th grade AND 12th grade), If student received this vaccine at 16 years of age or older, then one is not needed in 12th grade.
It may become necessary for your child to receive medication during the school day. The following is the procedure for medication administration in the school setting.
- A written order from your Health Care Provider is required for ALL medication, both prescription and over-the-counter (ex. Tylenol, Advil)
- A written request from the parent is required
- The medication must be brought to school in the original, labeled container. Loose medication that is wrapped up will not be administered.
- ALL MEDICATIONS MUST BE BROUGHT TO THE HEALTH OFFICE BY AN ADULT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS A CHILD TO BRING MEDICATION TO SCHOOL
- Before sending in any medication (i.e. nebulizer ampules, pills, Epi-pens, inhalers, ointments, eye drops, etc.), please check the expiration date and make sure that the medication will not expire during the school year. We are unable to administer expired medication.
- Self Administration of medication is prohibited in school with the exception of inhalers as treatment for asthma and Epi-pens for emergency situations. Consent forms must be filled out by the Health Care Provider and the parent. These forms must be kept on file in the Chester Academy's Health Office. For your convenience, the form is attached below.
- The consent form for medication administration in school is current for only ONE SCHOOL YEAR. Parents must provide the health office with a current doctor's order and parent permission form each September.
- Parents must pick up all medication by the last day of school. All remaining medication will be discarded if not picked up by the end of the school year.
Students must have a note from a physician in order to be excused from physical education class. Note must include medical reason for excuse and the length of time of non-participation. In addition, a physician's note is also required clearing the student to resume class. Physical Education excuses my be faxed directly to the health office at 469-6634.