Built beginning in 1935 and opened in 1937, the Maple Avenue School building was a Works Progress Administration project with an art deco design. The yellow brick building has sculptural elements and a clock tower with a copper cupola bell tower and finial. In 1965, a wing and outbuilding gymnasium were constructed behind and connected to the original building.
In 2003, Maple Avenue graduated its last class. The building was then occupied by Orange-Ulster BOCES for 15 years. After the 2018-19 school year, BOCES left the building, citing the building’s deteriorating conditions.
In 2020, a District proposal to borrow $7.9 million to level the building and construct a field house and multi-sport athletic field on the site was soundly defeated by voters. The building was then closed for general use and the gym was only opened for occasional use by sports teams up through the 2022-23 school year.