School Vote Information
Budget Vote & School Board Election Rescheduled to June 9
On May 1, 2020, Governor Cuomo issued Executive Order 202.26 setting forth provisions for the rescheduled Annual Meeting for school board elections and budget votes.
- The new uniform voting date is Tuesday, June 9, 2020.
- Voting will take place by absentee ballot only.
- An absentee ballot with a postage paid return envelope addressed to the District Clerk will be mailed to every eligible voter on, or about May 22nd.
- Only registered voters are considered to be eligible voters. Registered voters include those who are registered for the general election, or those who have registered and voted in prior school district votes during the preceding four calendar years.
- During the current mandated school district closure and need for social isolation, personal voter registration may not take place in school districts.
- Ballots must be received by 5 pm on June 9, 2020.
- Following the vote, the absentee ballots will be opened and counted in person by school district employees who will be considered essential workers and are appointed as election inspectors / assistant clerks to assist the District Clerk in counting the ballots.
The annual legal Board of Education Budget Hearing will take place online at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, June 1, 2020. Please check the Chester UFSD website on the day of the hearing for a link to view this meeting live. Since the meeting is online, there will be no live public participation in this meeting, however questions from the public may be directed to the District Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on June 1.
Personal (in-person) voter registration may not take place in school districts during the closure period. Registration may occur through the County Board of Elections by mail or, more expeditiously, online voter registration through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website: https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/electronicvoter-registration-application.
Military Ballots - Requests to register and/or receive military ballots must be received by May 14. Military ballots will be sent to military voters who request them by May 15, 2020.